Hackbarth’s ‘insignificant’ actions

by rachel_nygaard on December 2, 2010 · 11 comments

“I understand why the police and the security guard thought what they might have thought, but it really was insignificant to me.” – Representative Hackbarth

Tracking down a woman you met once while carrying a gun is an insignificant act? Even if you remove the fact that he was carrying a gun, a man that felt the need to track a woman down when he felt she wasn’t being completely honest with him is stalking behavior.

CBS

“She gave me some line of baloney, and I thought, ‘well, she’s fibbing to me.’ You could tell, and I thought, ‘well, I’m going to check it out.’ and I went there to see if she was around and her vehicle was not there. And I was just checking on her,” he said.

The ‘boys will be boys’ dismissal of his actions by the conservative bloggers astounds me.  When is this type of behavior ever okay?

This is the GOP blogger Mitch Berg commenting on the Hackbarth issue.

Remember – in the world of domestic law, including “abuse”, “domestic violence”, “stalking” and the like, men are considered guilty until proven innocent.

Going on to say that

Everything Is Stalking

He later qualifies his more offending statements (not those listed above) but the misogynistic attitude seethes from his post.

Clearly, Mitch Berg and Rep Hackbarth have a different moral compass than the rest of us.  I truly hope that they educate themselves about domestic abuse and difficulties protecting women, men and children from domestic assault. Isn’t it reasonable to believe that I have to right to not be followed or tracked by a man carrying a gun? I can personally attest to the fact that getting an order of protection is not an easy act, nor is the enforcement of it.  I was lucky enough to have police where I worked, but most people don’t have that luxury at home or at work.

This situation has also been compounded by his choice to park in the parking lot of Planned Parenthood (which is no where near the shopping areas).  The sad fact is that behavior like Rep Hackbarth’s is all to common and often carries over to violence against women’s clinics.

Kathi Di Nicola – Planned Parenthood

Unfortunately, the threat of clinic violence is a reality for many reproductive health care providers.  The safety and security of our patients and staff is of paramount importance to us. I can’t speak to Representative Hackbarth’s actions, as those questions are best answered by him. We do have a sign posted on our buildings that states that handguns are not allowed on PPMNS premises.

It is important to reiterate that PPMNS is committed to providing the women and families that rely on us for health care with a safe environment.

These issues of clinic violence are very real, every day occurrences.  Ask anyone who lives in the area of the Ford Parkway Planned Parenthood, there are always people out front yelling at those who work or use the clinic. I understand that some people disagree with this medical procedure, but is harassing men and women the answer? Wouldn’t your efforts be better used pushing for free birth control and comprehensive education so we can actually reduce unintended pregnancies?

I have yet to see an apology from Rep Hackbarth, I hope he takes the time before legislative session to meet with women’s groups, educate himself and show his constituents that he has learned from his mistakes by enacting/supporting legislation that helps protect women.

ProgressivesUnite December 2, 2010 at 2:29 am

and who cares what he says anyway?  He probably has power and control issues which lead to his way of thinking.  Plus, he probably lives in his momma’s basement and, therefore, doesn’t have a clue what the real world is like.

Joe Bodell December 2, 2010 at 2:36 am

AO December 2, 2010 at 3:42 am

I think Hackbarth was acting stupidly, but I just don’t see the evidence of a threat of violence towards this woman or the clinic.  As far as I know he doesn’t have a history of domestic abuse or of protesting outside abortion clincs.  If he wasn’t a politician would his actions merit newsworthiness?  How would you react if a exboyfriend who had never abused you, just wanted to check once if you were dating another guy?  I would think you’d think he was jealous but it wouldn’t be an issue if he didn’t make a scene and left you alone thereafter.

The Big E December 2, 2010 at 5:12 am

I am so consistently amazed how conservatives couldn’t give the slightest sh*t about their impact on others.  Maybe the qualification to be a teabagger is the complete lack of empathy.

AO … it doesn’t bother you the impression a woman might have of a armed guy she’d recently met trying to track her down like this?

Un-****ing believable …

Then let’s just consider that a teabagger is carrying a loaded weapon near a woman’s clinic.  A place that psychopathic conservatives have been known to attack?

Wow.

Alec December 2, 2010 at 6:28 am

It’s almost as if he could care less about how a woman might feel. In any situation. You see, Hackbarth is the real victim in AO’s world.

AO December 2, 2010 at 7:00 am

First of all, we don’t know what this other woman Hackbarth was after thinks about this.  Would her thoughts have anything to do with the gun?  the answer is No!  HE WASN’T THREATENING HER WITH THE GUN!  HE HAS A CONCEAL AND CARRY PERMIT!  HE CARRIES THE GUN EVERYWHERE!  THE GUN IS IRRELEVANT TO THE STORY!  HE DIDN’T CARE THAT HE PARKED IN THE PLANNED PARENTHOOD PARKING LOT!  HE DIDN’T GO THERE TO PROTEST ABORTIONS!  HE’S AN IDIOT, BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GUNS, VIOLENCE OR ABORTIONS!

The Big E December 2, 2010 at 7:47 am

Yup.

Tone deaf, emotionally disconnected from anything other than victimhood & anger and still convinced that Hackbarth is the victim.

You win, AO.  Y’all are a bunch of psychos.

Alec December 2, 2010 at 8:05 am

I am glad you know what the woman’s thoughts would have been. You’ll have to teach me that mind reading trick.

I cannot say, like you, that I know what a woman might think in this situation. I can imagine, but I cannot know like you.

If you know any females, ask them how they would feel if some guy they met once was walking around checking up on them. I can imagine it might be kind of creepy to them. Maybe not, but it could.

You know how you would react, and in a self-absorbed way assume that everyone else would react the same way.

AO December 2, 2010 at 9:24 am

Creepy, sure, but the gun had nothing to do with it.  It’s a called a “conceal” and carry permit for a reason.

radicalhw December 2, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Cry me a river, Mitch.  If men are assumed guilty, it’s because facts back that up.  A quick look at some pie charts on the MNCAVA website show that in one sample, the perps are overwhelmingly male and the victims are overwhelmingly female.

To men who balk at accepting these facts, I challenge you: STOP WHINING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.  When you dismiss these incidents as “insignificant,” you perpetuate these systems.  Stand up, announce to your fellow men that this behavior is unacceptable for men of decency and maturity, and THEN we can start making changes.

ericf December 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Substitute another weapon for the gun. Suppose he followed a women he met once while carrying a large knife. That would be legal too, but how does the incident come across now? Maybe he has an axe, a bat, whatever, just something legal. Does the legality make it better? If someone decides to follow you, with a gun, you would be a fool not to be very concerned about this, and I’m guessing the legality of the weapon would be cold comfort.