Former Blogger Brodkorb surly to other Bloggers

by Curmudgeon on September 2, 2010 · 7 comments

State Republican Deputy Chair Michael Brodkorb, “former blogger”, loses patience with blogger questions.

Brodkorb with his faithful Mark Dayton tracker took the podium after a press conference with Twin City Mayors, DNC chair Tim Kaine and Mark.  Link to press conference: http://theuptake.org/2010/09/0…

Soren Sorenson, peace activist and blogger tried to follow up with Bodkorb; not much accomplished.

ericf September 2, 2010 at 10:02 am

to talk to little people like you. See, I have a suit…I’m a real Republican hack now, with pay and everything!

The Big E September 2, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Brodkorb was always getting paid.

SV1000 September 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Clearly this guy is a duechebag But so is Soren so why is Brobkorb’s message so much more effective? Is it because he sights “poll after poll” to support his faulty assumption. Why do so many people have believe statements that are flatly untrue? Shouldn’t we be less interested in what the right is saying and more interested in why or how any of their comments, which seem ludicrous to us, get any traction at all?

dan.burns September 3, 2010 at 1:30 am

in interpreting your comment, but on the topic of why people (especially, but by no means only, on the political right) believe stuff that ain’t true, the following straightforward and relatively compact tomes might interest you:  Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely;  Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson, and What’s the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank.  All were best-sellers and should be easy to obtain at libraries.

You get right down to it, in general, people don’t ‘think’ logically, based on evidence.  They believe what fits their predetermined dogmatic systems, and (as Bertrand Russell put it, somewhere) “We believe, first and foremost, what makes us think that we are fine fellows.”  Power-mongers, not to mention advertisers, know how to exploit that.  They’ve been doing it for centuries.

You probably already know that.  Sorry about getting long-winded.

SV1000 September 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm

You interpreted what I wrote perfectly, unfortunately I was trying to make a different point. Not my greatest communications moment. The position I was trying to make is that the tactics used by the right are very effective and us dems could be equally as effective if we would incorporate those same tactics into our rhetoric.  Now that you mention those books outlining the tactics I’m even more frustrated. These books were widely read by many liberal, especially  ”What’s the Matter With Kansas”.  and that just shows that liberals know all about the tactics but aren’t applying them. Soren should know better and so should every single person running a campaign. It’s just inexcusable.

ImpeccableLiberalCredentials September 4, 2010 at 12:06 am

I am not sure you’ve made a comment or criticism that is cogent.

If I tried to make a point or inject a frame it was that “Dayton IS POPULAR in part because of his vote AGAINST THE IRAQ WAR”, that “MINNESOTA will not turn the page on WAR CRIMES COMMITTED BY BUSH/CHENEY ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS”

I had a small number of the CODE PINK inspired leaflets left over from my pre-Obama Iraq speech doorknocks and wanted to share them with Kaine and the political press.

Harassing Brodkorb was just a bonus – He’s a blogger I’ve beaten in arm-wrestling contests. He is not respected within his own party, where he has fought against Liberty/Ron Paul activists in ways that make any semblance of process/democracy in his party an obvious farce. Protecting Pawlenty is Brodkorb’s only hope in try to get off and stay off of the blogs and move up the foodchain.

It is clear that Brodkorb and the GOP don’t know what to make of Obama’s defense of the Bush/Cheney enterprise in Iraq.

I would encourage more of the DFL-friendly bloggers on this and allied sites to show up at press conferences like this and ask their own questions. If you think you can do better, Robert, do it.

I am not counting on getting the press to pick up an anti-war message. My game is a ground game, it is about getting large numbers of people short, effective invitations to participate in our democracy with cheap handbills and personal contacts. Radio ads seem to be pretty affordable as well. When I have time, I will blog, but the priority is the door, next is the phone, social media, organizing meetings, work within the party. Blogs are not particularly useful. But if you are on the other side they can generate enough revenue to pay for some cheesepuffs and pajamas, and maybe one suit you can wear out in public when your entire electoral effort depends on hijacking the opposition’s press conferences in order to incite the Star Tribune to pay mention of a message you managed to get the Pioneer Press to parrot.

If I have time, I’ll write about the GOP operation at the Dayton/Kaine press conference. Maybe in December?

SV1000 September 4, 2010 at 12:38 am

Your exceedingly verbose response (that I didn’t bother reading) is glaring evidence of what I”m getting at.

Small words, short sentences and make it catchy. People are too bz to pay attention to anything more.

You’ve seen your ideas get steamrollered by fallacy and you’ve read the books on how they’ve done it. Now apply what you’ve learned to your rhetoric. Being right doesn’t automatically make you convincing.

PS. it wouldn’t hurt to work on your posture either. Slouching does not exude confidence. You’re tall, tower above people.

other than that I love you man