One quick thought on the Vice Presidential debate

by Joe Bodell on October 12, 2012 · 6 comments

Paul Ryan a.k.a. Eddie Munster really is Sarah Palin without the charming personality.

That is to say, hopelessly unprepared to actually take the reins of the Presidency at a moment’s notice, but perfectly willing to cough up tired old conservative talking points. Like admitting a desire to privatize Social Security.

Joe Biden, on the other hand, proved himself a sharp, irascible, knowledgeable guy who, despite having lived and breathed complex policy issues for decades, can boil those issues down to their moral and ethical cores.

Jeff noted that this debate probably won’t have a big effect on the polls. We’ll see about that — if nothing else, it should stabilize Democratic confidence headed into next week’s standoff between President Obama and the Etch-a-Sketch.

Jeff Rosenberg October 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I loved it when he tied Ryan to Palin over death panels, saying something along the lines of “I heard the same nonsense from Sarah Palin four years ago.”

give2attain October 12, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Though it was an interesting debate. And I am sure great fun for the Left sided viewers.

However, don’t you think many of the undecideds will see Biden as cynical, scoffing, unprofessional, etc after that showing?

Does this matter?

JML October 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Romney was aggressive too, just different style. Seemed ok to the GOP then!

No one who isn’t a card-carrying member of the GOP will see Joe Biden as cynical, though. Joe Biden is as genuine as it gets, which is why his laughing and smiling won’t hurt him except with the already committed.

give2attain October 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I discussed it with one of my Liberal friends and he agreed with you. And said something about that’s what Biden is like.  Myself I am not so sure.

Showing disbelief in the opponents statements vs appearing cynical and scoffing is an interesting balance.  I think he tipped over to the latter.

I’ll have to go back and check out Romney’s behavior and see how it compares…  The upside, I don’t think people vote the VP.

Biden Ryan Video

Obama Romney Video

Alec October 13, 2012 at 5:55 am

First, there really are no undecideds.

From a personal standpoint, I would rather support a salty, bar room brawler who is straight forward and honest than a straight laced, prim and proper liar.

I put more stock in character than presentation.

give2attain October 13, 2012 at 8:43 am

Looks like 3 to 6 % are undecided.  Pretty important group when the gap is about that…