MN-08: Nolan Responds to Clark Attack – Update

by Dan Burns on August 10, 2012 · 7 comments

Update:  I’ve uploaded video of Clark’s ad, below the fold.

Minnesota’s primary elections will be next Tuesday, August 14.  They include a DFL primary in the 8th district, between Jeff Anderson, Tarryl Clark, and Rick Nolan.  Nolan has responded, via a press release, to a negative ad being aired by the Clark campaign.  Click on “There’s More” for the full text of the release.

I was thinking that perhaps the Clark ad would have been made available online, between the posting time of the diary linked above, and this one. Negative dice.  I’ll try again, Friday.

We’ll see, by about 10PM or so on Tuesday, whether this late gambit of Clark’s worked.  I kind of doubt that it will have, but that’s just me.  I, and maybe another MnPPer or two, or more, will be liveblogging primary results.
Here’s Clark’s ad, which was uploaded at MPR.

Also from the linked MPR article:

The Clark campaign maintains its ad is accurate and calls the spot a “Minnesota-nice” version of what Republicans will do to Nolan regarding his record at the Minnesota World Trade Center if he ends up winning next week’s primary and running against Cravaack in November.

The Nolan press release:

Rick Nolan, DFL-endorsed candidate for Congress in the 8th district today offered the following statement:

“I am very disappointed that Tarryl Clark has decided to air these desperate, deceitful, and dishonest ads attacking my strong record on job creation. This is last minute, 11th-hour, gutter politics at its worst and is not worthy of the 8th District.

Tarryl moved into this district to run for office and her campaign is based on outside money attempting to buy this election. These desperate, negative campaign tactics simply show the true colors of an overly ambitious politician who will do anything to get elected.

Let me be clear, I am very proud of my time leading the Minnesota World Trade Center Corporation.

My friend, Governor Rudy Perpich, talked often about ‘job-jobs-jobs’ and we shared a vision for growing Minnesota’s economy globally. The Minnesota World Trade Center was a huge part of Perpich’s vision.

The idea for the Minnesota World Trade Center Corporation was to provide a home for Minnesota companies eager to expand abroad. Our late, great Governor Perpich asked me to help him create and build this critical project and I did so successfully, working as an unpaid volunteer and Chairman of the Board, spearheading Perpich’s project for the first four years of the process.

We secured over $60 million in private sector money just for the building of the facility, which created hundreds of good-paying, union construction jobs.

I am proud of the accomplishments we made to help expand the market for Minnesota manufacturers and small businesses. This project helped to put Minnesota on the map in a global economy.

Governor Perpich’s administration saw the creation of 328,000 jobs during his term of service, and the World Trade Center played an important role in creating those jobs. I am proud of that fact.

Let me be clear, for the record. Tarryl Clark’s ad is dishonest, untrue and simply not based on facts.

I have worked my entire adult life creating jobs in Minnesota, and will continue to do that as the next Congressman for the 8th District. The only job Tarryl Clark seems interested in creating is one for herself in Congress.”

Joel in Duluth August 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

St. Louis County Commissioner Steve O’Neil, perhaps Duluth’s most admired DFL elected official, endorsed Rick Nolan today.  O’Neil had remained conspicuously neutral in the race up until this point.

O’Neil’s endorsement statement was quite revealing:  ”Rick Nolan has impressed me since this campaign began. I have been impressed by the commitment we share to finding affordable housing and decent medical care for all our citizens. But mostly, I am impressed with his approach to public service. Rick has run a positive, issue-oriented campaign from the beginning.  He inspires people to public service and reminds me of Paul Wellstone in many ways. I urge everyone in Duluth to support Rick on Tuesday, August 14.”

JML August 10, 2012 at 9:18 am

I saw Tarryl’s ad. I give it a “meh”. It’s pretty harsh in tone, but it’s pretty thin stuff that I suspect won’t stick. The positive messaging for Clark is also pretty bland, standard stuff…with a tacked on endorsement from Bill Clinton. (am I crazy, or does it look like it’s from 2010? Not a big deal since he endorsed her this year too, I guess)

I think this means Tarryl’s polling has her losing. I’m a little surprised Nolan hit back as hard as he did, considering how tightly he’d stuck to positive messaging amongst DFLers. But I think it’s a good sign for the DFL if Nolan is the nominee (still my current bet). Clearly, he’s willing to hit back hard when attacked. That’s good to know, because the Chipster will attack early and often.

Joel in Duluth August 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

. . . and it looks cheesy.  In terms of Clark’s positive messaging, now you can see why so many of us have been so utterly unimpressed by her campaign.  It is generic cookie-cutter Democratic congressional campaign messaging– the type of messaging that contributed considerably to the 2010 debacle.

I was speaking to someone who attended Nolan’s press conference this afternoon who told me that Nolan seemed authentically outraged by Clark’s attack.  Apparently, he takes some pride in the work he did at the Minnesota World Trade Center and took considerable umbrage at having it portrayed as as corrupt sinecure.

Here’s a link to local coverage of Nolan’s press conference from Duluth television station WDIO.

DelJ August 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

TC is pathetic and weak.  I cant wait for her to lose and go away.

DelJ August 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

I hope she didnt take too much out of her carpet bag.   Start packin the bag back up TC.  Nobody likes you.

Joel in Duluth August 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Here are links to coverage at the UpTake:

1.  Nolan Press Conference

2.  Steve O’Neil endorses Rick Nolan

By the way, don’t confuse Duluth Central Labor Body President Dan O’Neill (who appears with Rick Nolan at his press conference) with St. Louis County Commissioner Steve O’Neil.

JML August 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Does anyone around here think this was a strong move for Clark? (outside of her paid staff, that is)

An attack ad like this will have some effect on Nolan, but negative ads also affect the person who runs them. It helps a lot to have a reservoir of goodwill behind you to keep people from being turned off by the attack. This is particularly important in a primary where the electorate will be primarily made up of those dedicated to the party, not just to a candidate.

Clark doesn’t have that base of support in the 8th. She’s not well known up there, is a recent transplant to the district, and there’s not going to be a strong degree of loyalty to her. I don’t think this is going to help her all that much. I’m guessing the biggest beneficiary of this ad might be Jeff Anderson.

I’m thinking Nolan 42%, Clark 35%, Anderson 23% right now.