Tarryl Clark Unveils Ambitious Campaign To Win Congressional Seat

by keewatinrose on April 2, 2012 · 15 comments

Former State Senator Tarryl Clark angered many in the DFL last month by announcing that she intends by pass the party’s endorsement and force a  primary in the 8th district congressional race.

In a surprise move (?) sure to rankle many more in the DFL, Clark announced on Sunday that she is also by passing the endorsement process in CD1…and 2… and 3… and 4… and 5… and 7. Clark is now running in every congressional district in the state with one notable exception: CD6, ironically the only congressional district in which she actually owns a home.

Clark bristles at the suggestion that she is carpetbagging, and insists that she actually does live in each and every congressional district in which she is running for office. She and her husband own condos in Mankato, Red Wing, New Hope, Stillwater, Minneapolis, Moorhead and Duluth, the St Cloud homeowner claims.

In a prepared statement, Clark recognized her multi-district campaign strategy is unprecedented but said she was doing this only for sake of the people :

The stakes are too high to let politics and process override the voice of the people. Today, I’m announcing that I will let the people decide who will be the DFL nominee in the election this year. As a former party leader – a former Associate Chair of the DFL, I vow to work with all DFL’ers to organize and bring more people into the party – to reach out to those who feel disenfranchised and disillusioned.  It’s critical that we engage each and every voter in Minnesota’s [insert district here] to take part in the decisions that affect our futures. I’m the only candidate in this race that has been fighting for the priorities of our families and communities for the past 23 years.  I’ve worked to make life better for our seniors, working families, veterans, and communities throughout Central and [insert area here] Minnesota. We have the opportunity to create jobs here in the [insert district here] while strengthening programs and Social Security, but our current member of Congress is more interested in advocating for the Ryan Plan to kill Social Security and gut Medicare.

Despite an exhaustive search, MPP was unsuccessful in locating Clark in the 8th congressional district, but we were finally able to catch up with her at a campaign stop in the 2nd district. We arrived in southeastern Minnesota just in time to hear Clark’s opening statement:

I’ve served as a youth minister, worked with the Girl Scouts, founded Central Minnesota Habitat for Humanity, fought for Seniors as an attorney, worked with Community Action agencies throughout the region, focused on our families, and communities as a state senator, and now am national co-chair of a jobs creating campaign. From my grassroots campaigns to being a leader in the MN Senate, I’ve been, and will continue to be, a strong voice for our priorities.

“Gee, that’s real nice for the people of St Cloud, but Red Wing isn’t in Central Minnesota,” observes an obviously confused young voter. Without batting an eye, Clark quickly defends her reference, fuming “Red Wing even named their high school CENTRAL High,” in response to the local criticism.

The audience sits in stunned silence, several minutes ticking by until another resident cautiously approaches the microphone.

“We always welcome new residents Tarryl, but there’s no record of you owning a condo anywhere in Goodhue County,” says a perplexed farmer, scratching his head. “And how can you possibly afford to own so many condos throughout the state,” he wonders aloud.

Clark counters that she is taking advantage of virtual technology, referring to a holosuite program featured on Star Trek: Deep Space 9. “My condos are every bit as real as Vic Fontaine’s Las Vegas nightclub,” she declares with a hearty dose of indignation.

The dazed audience shifts nervously in their chairs as the farmer quietly backs away.

“So, where do you get your mail?” queries an amused college student in the front row. “I own a post office box”, Clark shoots back. “Umm, you do realize that a post office box is not a condo, right?” the student asks rather nervously. Clark stares at him blankly, her trademark Stepford smile firmly frozen in place.

“Tarryl, your home obviously is in St Cloud and you vote in St Cloud. Why aren’t you running in the 6th district,” another resident wants to know, this time calling from the back of the room.

I don’t need lines on a map to tell me where home is,” snaps Clark, as she stuffs things into her packsack in preparation for her trip to New Hampshire to take on Chip Cravaack. But it’s clear that her love affair with voters in her home district is over. “I was a much better candidate than that loser Elwin Tinklenberg, but the voters in the 6th just weren’t smart enough to appreciate an obvious winner the way they should have,” she continues petulantly.

“But Tarryl,” a local political science professor counters, “El lost by only 7,000 votes. In just two years you increased that margin of defeat to 35,000.”  Obviously displeased, Clark glares at the woman in response but quickly recovers her Stepford-like composure. “Everyone else in the country recognizes how special I am and absolutely loves me,” she stubbornly insists, triumphantly lifting her FEC report to the sky like a beacon to the gods.

The reaction from other democrats to Clark’s announcement has been…. interesting.  DFL Party Chair Ken Martin’s response to her latest escapade consisted of one sentence. “Tarryl Clark is a legend in her own mind,”  Martin observed wryly.

7th District Congressman Collin Peterson, who is now facing Clark in a primary, is clearly amused by her actions. “I think she spent so much time with Michele Bachmann that she’s hearing the same voices,” he said, dismissing her candidacy with a laugh.

Even after being rejected by those who know her best, Clark remains defiantly determined to continue her search for a job in Congress, albeit alone. “Those thankless rubes won’t have Tarryl Clark to kick around anymore” she declares with a sharp toss of her head as she bolts out the door to catch her April Fool’s Day flight to Manchester.

We wish her a soft landing – in whatever district or state that may be.

timba April 2, 2012 at 6:15 am

Actually, that bit isn’t too far afield . LOL !

Dan April 2, 2012 at 7:03 am

To have someone writing this kind of garbage on his behalf.

timba April 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Dan’s sense of humor seems to be missing. Too bad, so sad…

Andrew Engen April 2, 2012 at 7:47 am

and frankly, it’s bullshit posts like this that have led me to not read MNPP very often.  I’m back reading and commenting so I can get endorsement convention news, but once that’s over, I’m sure I’ll stop coming here so as to avoid crap like this.

This blog should really look at ensuring a higher-standard of journalistic integrity.

Dan April 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

It might have been funny if it hadn’t come from someone who has been writing sleazy hit-pieces about Clark.  As it is, its just pure garbage.  If Rick Nolan had any integrity at all, he would put a stop to this.  The fact that he hasn’t speaks volumes about him, and may explain why both Clark and Anderson are running in the primary.

Dan April 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

Do you really want this kind of crap on your website?  I realize that its an April fools piece, but given what Keewatinrose has written before, its not humor – its an opportunity to take more cheap shots.

Is it ok that she is writing on behalf of the site, and not just her?  Or the fact that its a joke make it ok.

You guys should be embarrassed.

MinnesotaBulldog April 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I am highly disappointed that this got pushed to the front page. The relentlessly negative campaign against Tarryl conducted by keewatinrose that is consistently pushed to the front page is one thing, but this feels like a step too far to me. This doesn’t come across as amusing to me, and I would imagine it doesn’t much amuse many other people either. This is just nasty.

I think there are reasonable ways to discuss the differences between candidates. I do not believe that this falls under that category.

Laura Nevitt April 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

While I want to appreciate the humor, that I hope was the intention of this piece – let’s just say it didn’t work so well.

My real problem isn’t so much the piece – its the idea of someone who feels it so necessary to continue to attack another DFLer and as a woman, I find it especially disheartening the continual attack on another woman – its not like women don’t have enough challenges when running for office, but to have other women attack them is just disappointing.

If you really just wanted to help the candidate you support – than just write about the positives of your candidate, why he/she should be supported and all of their positives – you do nothing to honor your candidate or the process with these continual snarky attack pieces.

And to the team running MPP – I would hope that one of the goals of this site would would be to want to make the political discourse better and more productive place and not to continue negative, unproductive chatter

JML April 4, 2012 at 12:46 am

Why is this about gender? or are you saying that female politicians can’t be attacked for anything because they’re women?

Look, I’m not wild about negative pieces towards fellow DFLers. It’s why I loathe primary/endorsement fights; I’d much rather go after the GOP. But we’re not going to all sing kumbaya and get along all the time. This is an attack on Clark for being a carpetbagger, not because she’s a woman. I imagine the author thought it would be taken more lightheartedly since it was posted on April Fools Day, but I think increasingly people just don’t go for that holiday any longer. Especially since humor is so personal as to what one finds funny. I think people who don’t care for Clark moving up north to run for Congress will find this somewhat amusing. people who don’t care about that issue or support Clark will be upset as hell.

But trying to make this about gender doesn’t do women candidates any favors.

Dan April 4, 2012 at 2:30 am

If this had been written by someone who had been objective and fair in the past, it might have even have been funny.  But it was written by someone who has a history of smearing and lying about pro-choice women candidates.  This is someone who wants to put those uppity pro-choice women in their place.

Just last year Keewatinrose’s sleaze was turned on Carly Melin, who defeated Chamber of Commerce anti-choice candidate Shelly Robinson for the endorsement and in the primary.  It is beyond hypocritical for KeewatinRose to complain about Clark not abiding when she was supporting her anti-choice candidate in a challenge to the pro-choice endorsed candidate. To say this isn’t about gender is like pretending the stealth endorsement candidacy of Tom Diamond and non-endorsement of John Harrington in SD67 has nothing to do with race.

All this crap about Clark proving she lives in the district is really no different than the Obama birther garbage.  As DFLers, we should be better than that, but KeewatinRose has taken it upon herself to sink to the level of Orly Taitz and Rush Limbaugh.  She is an embarassment to this website and an embarassment to the DFL.  Again, if her comments were mocking the Republicans, it might have been funny.  But this is the same kind of bile that Keewatinrose regularly spews.

JML April 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

This is nonsensical.

You state that this might be funny if another author wrote it…and then immediately declare it to be a gender-based attack? Come on. If you want to argue it can’t be funny because of the things the author has written about Clark before and her position regarding the CD8 race, that’s fair. (I wouldn’t expect everyone to agree with you, but it’s a reasonable point) But since when has the author gone after Clark because she’s a woman? And why does opposing any woman candidate make you anti-woman?

You can prefer one candidate over another, and even take shots at them without being anti-woman. I’m happy to bury people for using gender stereotypes against a candidate and/or making bigoted/sexist attacks. But at the same time, no candidate gets protected status from any attack based on gender.

(Also? I hope folks around here are as vigilant about some really nasty slurs that are infiltrating the party. I was informed by a reliable source that one candidate’s supporters were calling their opponent a “f*g**t” as a means of persuasion at an SD endorsing convention. I wouldn’t consider that an effective means of persuasion, but the fact that it occurred at all at a DFL convention is pretty damn disturbing)

Dan April 4, 2012 at 9:05 am

Its tough to figure out exactly what KeewatinRose’s agenda is with all the vomit she spews.  What I do know is that the targets of her attacks have been pro-choice women.  What I also know is that any claim she has about the sanctity of the endorsement is complete bulls**t because last year she supported her anti-choice candidate in a primary against the pro-choice endorsed candidate.

Spether April 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I have no horse in the CD8 race so it’s amusing to watch the warfare waged on this site between keewatinrose and her counterparts on the other campaigns.  However, this post goes too far.  By writing just the first two paragraphs she could have made her point and had a fairly humorous piece; in some ways it would have even poked fun at her own frequent posts here on MPP.  But she wrecked it by deciding to turn it into an Onion article.  Describing Clark as “petulant” and “a legend in her own mind” is mean-spirited and detracts from the main message.

keewatinrose: you blew it.

CD8Jim April 3, 2012 at 2:20 am

This would be funnier if I could tell the difference between it and the schlock that KewattinRose usually posts.

As a person who does not support Rick Nolan, it is depressing that his is the only campaiign that has been granted an embedded reporter at MPP.  I generally can trust this site to not editorialize for or against any individual candidate in a race.  That has been thrown out the window in this race, as KR is un unabashed Nolan supporter who seems to trip over herself to write glowingly about RIck and negativley against anyone else who would challenge him.

She makes reading coverage of the hottest congressional race in the state really worthless, and that is not good for MPP.  No matter what MPP says about this race, I know I can not trust it, and that really devalues the quality product you have (had) here.

JML April 4, 2012 at 12:51 am

Try again, buddy.

MPP doesn’t have an embedded reporter in any of them campaigns as far as I know. keewatinrose writes about CD8 and supports Nolan. Others here write about the race and support other candidates. Hell, Tarryl Clark’s staff posts here! (and had one of their posts promoted to the front page by keewatinrose, I’d note)