Special Elections Results Thread

by TonyAngelo on October 19, 2011

[Update - 8:30pm]: And just like that, it’s done.

In SD46, with all but one precinct reporting, DFLer Chris Eaton is up by almost 1,600 votes, 62% to 33%. Congratulations Senator-elect Eaton.

In SD61, with all precincts reporting, Jeff Hayden has won by more than 1,200 votes, 68% to 22%. Congratulations Senator-elect Hayden.

Two special elections are taking place today, in Senate districts 46 and 61. The polls close at 8pm and results should come shortly after.

In Senate district 46 the candidates are:
Democrat Chris Eaton, Republican Cory Jensen and from the Independence party Tom Reynolds.

In Senate district 61 the candidates are:
Democrat Jeff Hayden, Republican Bruce Lundeen, Independence Matt Brillhart and perennial candidate Farheen Hakeem.

SD61 is the most democratic senate seat in the state and SD46 is a strong DFL district so it would have to be considered quite the upset if anyone other then the two DFLers win.

ericf October 19, 2011 at 6:10 am

Republicans have won every special election in that district. DFLers win it back in general elections. Local DFLers are trying to buck history tonight.

TonyAngelo October 19, 2011 at 6:39 am

a special election under the current district maps in SD46.

TonyAngelo October 19, 2011 at 6:39 am

ericf October 19, 2011 at 7:35 am

I took it as going back decades over different districts that cover mostly the same area. Maybe that area is bluer than it used to be, and the DFL in no way took it for granted this time. Not that they took it for granted before. I’ve no idea, but there was a serious ground game this time. I don’t know about 61, even though it’s my neighboring district, though I know Jeff Hayden himself pounded doors and took it seriously. I got to talk to him a bit Saturday. He didn’t complain about a lack of help, so I take that to mean he had volunteers.

TonyAngelo October 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm

that Republicans won in the past, but I really don’t see how things that happened more than ten years ago in a different district configuration have any bearing whatsoever on last nights election.

ericf October 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Besides, special elections take place in unusual circumstances which makes them hard to predict. It seems taking nothing for granted is good practice. That’s how we flipped several legislative seats in GOP districts even when Pawlenty scheduled them for days meant to maximize inconvenience, like when he scheduled an election in a district with a college during Winter break (the seat that includes Northfield, if I recall correctly). I’d rather be asking if it was worth all the work when we won by 30 than wondering why we got lazy and blew it by 3.

TonyAngelo October 19, 2011 at 9:46 pm

wanting working hard to win a special election. You are absolutely right that they are unique circumstances should not be taken for granted.

I just think it’s highly disingenuous to say “The GOP has won every special election in this district” when there have been exactly zero special elections in that district under the current district lines.